Friday, May 21, 2010

Tired of the job

Can I just say that it's been one of those days? One where Grace woke up with a great number - 140 -  and all was well with the world. One where it started to stink after Grace told me at 7:30 am that her Pod site itched (it was the 3rd day and time for a change later on today anyway). I changed her site. Now, I don't normally change a site before school. I like to keep an eye on things after a site change. But, I thought, what could go wrong, it will all be fine.

This is exactly how 'fine' it all went down so far today:

10 am check - 205
(what???? but ok, we correct and move on, I'll figure it out later)

12 pm lunch - 217
(ok, I'm not a rocket scientist, but that 10 am correction, did that 'take' at all? we decide to dose her for the high, dose for her carbs at lunch and call it a fluke. this will come to bite me in the a$$ in the following sentence.)

2 pm - gym check - 312
(crap. darn. what-the-you-know-what. plus some choice swear words in the aloneness of my house)

Ok mommies out there - what do we do? She has one hour left in school and has gym. GYM is her FAVORITE class all week. She waits for it each Friday. To miss it is to miss DisneyWorld, to her.

So we dose her through the I-must-have-stopped-working Pod on her upper right thigh. Lotta good that will do her. I might as well had her turn around 3 times, kiss a frog and jump twice. Same effect.

I let her roll to gym class at 312. Yes I did.
She will be home in one hour and I will put my detective hat on, figuring out if it's a bad site or what.

It's been one of those days.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally would have let Caleb play also. If you cannot explain those numbers otherwise (for example a food she has never eaten before, illness, etc.) I think you may have a bad site. I would pull the Pod.

Good luck!!!

Jules said...

I am no expert and we don't use a pump (yet) but I feel you did right. You were between a rock and a hard place and chose to let your girl be herself and not feel that D has prevented her doing something. It's all firing at moving targets and we can only minimise the exposure to high numbers as much as we can. That's exactly what you did. Playing is vital and would have brought her so much joy.

Heather said...

I would have done the same thing. Let her go to class and figure out the problem later. You gotta let them be kids as much as you can with this disease. I hope you figure out the "source" of all the highs today.

Wendy said...

The only thing I might add would be to check ketones and give 8 oz of water.

If any ketones were present, I'd ask our nurse to program Addy's pump for a correction, then disconnect the pump, deliver it into the sink, and give a REAL correction via shot....that way I'd still have the handy dandy IOB programmed into the pump :)

Addy's Animas pump allows for very easy disconnect for stuff like this. Not sure if you could remove the pod and still program/deliver a correction bolus?

Anyway, if ketones were negative....8 oz water and GAME ON!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Wendy. In that situation I may have had the school nurse give her an injection. That being said, I'm always slow to recognize a bad site. Hope she was okay when she got home!
Pam

Hallie Addington said...

I would have done the same thing, too. Exercise helps bring blood sugar down, right?!? Hope you've got it figured out!

my sweet girl said...

Oh boy do I know how you feel right now. I'm still working on S's blood sugars. Which have been making me nuts for a while now.
I would have let her go to gym class also! That's what we Mom's do - take on the stress and the kids have fun!
Yvette

Cheryl said...

my DD (10) uses the pod and upper thighs give us bad numbers.

TRISHA NELSON said...

There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and elimination of diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome lifestyle Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and overall well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2014. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a glucometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescriptions like: Insulin ,Sulfonylureas,Thiazolidinediones but I could not get the cure rather to reduce the pain and bring back the pain again. I found a woman testimony name Comfort online on how Dr James cured her HIV  and I also contacted the doctor and after I took his herbal medication as instructed, I am now completely free from Diabetes from doctor Dr James herbal  mix medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com   or his Number   +2348152855846   He also uses his herbal herbs medicine to cure all kind of diseases like:DIABETES, CANCER,RECTUM EFFECTS, BOWEL OBSTRUCTION, HIV/AIDS, HERPES, HEPATITIS A&B, CARDIAC DISEASES, CHRONIC DISEASES,  YELLOW FEVER, EPILEPSY, LUPUS, STROKE, SPINAL CORD, ECZEMA, KIDNEY DISEASES, ACME, BACK PAIN,   DENGUE SCHIZOPHRENIA, APOLLO,MULTIPLES SCLEROSIS, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, VAGINAL  DISCHARGING, ARTHRITIS, MENINGITIS itchy Should contact.Doctor James and be free from your diseases because I am a living testimony, Dr James, is very good and honest herbalist doctor. Contact him now via his email:   (drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com)   (whatsapp or call him on  +2348152855846)